Wednesday 21 January 2015

No rest on the rest day

Today was supposed to be a 'rest' day in the 2015 Australian Junior Championship. This did not stop over 110 players taking part in the Australian Junior Lightning Championship, or around 60 players taking part in the Australian Junior Problem Solving championship.
The latter involved sitting a 2 hour 'exam' paper consisting of 15 problems/studies. It was also open to non-juniors, so I'd thought I would give it a go myself. Even though I took the full two hours, I did not manage to complete the whole test, missing one question entirely, and not providing full answers on a couple of other questions. I'm pretty sure my score won't qualify me for the next World Solving Championships, but it was still a worthwhile exercise.
Here is an example of one of the questions from the paper (the first question actually). It is pretty simply to solve, with White to play and checkmate in 2 moves. They got harder after this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Qa5?