Monday 28 July 2014

If you can snatch these pebbles from my hand

While the Poltiken Cup is a 300+ player swiss, it did not stop the smaller group of Australian players (6) from occasionally running into each other, at the board. Olympiad team captain FM Manuel Weeks had to play FM Junta Ikeda and IM Moulthun Ly, and scored a credible 1/2. For a slightly  younger generation of Australian players this may be a bit of a surpise (as Manuel does not play a lot these days), but he was a strong player when active, and has quite extensive opening knowledge. This knowledge came in quite handing when I roomed with him at a couple of Olympiads, and it was no coincidence that I had my best  Olympiad results when he was able to help me with my preparation.
Here is the game where he defeated IM Moulthun Ly. Normally the two bishops should beat the rook, but the passers on the edges of the board proved the difference.


Weeks,Manual - Ly,Moulthun [D03]
Politiken Cup, 26.07.2014



No comments: