Monday 11 August 2008

The Stuart Conquest

(A headline I'm sure has been used by others)

GM Stuart Conquest is the winner of this years British Championship. He defeated GM Keith Arkell in the playoff match 1.5-0.5 after they were tied on 7.5/11. This is the first championship for Conquest, although it would have been the first championship for anyone who finished first, as there were no former champions in the field!
Conquest is also a previous winner of the ANU Open (in 1999) and in 2004 kindly helped me during the early stages of my Olympiad drug test refusal by being the Spanish to English interpreter for myself and Cathy Rogers.
The player that I hoped would win, Gawain Jones, unfortunately lost his last round the Keith Arkell. Now I'm not sure whether this hindered him or helped, but he still found time between the rounds to issue a daily challenge to me in Facebook Premier League soccer. He thrashed me in every game.
Full coverage can be found at http://www.britishchess08.com/

Conquest,S (2536) - Haslinger,S (2511) [D10]
British Championship (10.3), 07.08.2008

1.c4 Nf6 2.d4 c6 3.Bf4 d5 4.e3 a6 5.Nf3 e6 6.Nc3 Bb4 7.a3 Bxc3+ 8.bxc3 Qa5 9.Qb3 dxc4 10.Bxc4 Nd5 11.0-0 0-0 12.Bg3 b5 13.Bd3 Qxc3 14.Qb1 Qa5 15.Bxh7+ Kh8 16.Bd6 Rd8 17.Ne5 f5 18.Bg6 Rxd6 19.Nf7+ Kg8 20.Nxd6 Qd8 21.Nxc8 Qxc8 22.e4 Nc3 23.Qb3 Ne2+ 24.Kh1 Nf4 25.exf5 Ra7 26.Rae1 Re7 27.Qf3 Nxg6 28.fxg6 Nd7 29.Rxe6 1-0

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, i'll bite! "drugs test refusal"? i know of your olympiad involvement, and i do suspect that i understand the noble motives at play here, but i sense an untold story of heroism and rebellion. Tell on if you can!!

with putative admiration
shane

Anonymous said...

OK, rather than just lazily asked, i used my extensive research skills.Here this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_Chess_Olympiad#Drug_testing

massive kudos

shane

Anonymous said...

Rather than just lazily ask, i used my extensive research skills.Here this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_Chess_Olympiad#Drug_testing

massive kudos

shane

Anonymous said...

I've just recently bought Mt4 Protect and wanted to tell you guys about my experience with it.
I was worried about all the Metatrader Trojan Horse's out there at the moment as I heard you can get them from downloading EA's from the internet.
While I don't download decompiled experts the last thing I want is some hacker getting my account details and draining my forex account as I have built it up into quite a bit of $$$. That's why I purchased MT4 protect so it can stop my pc from getting attacked. I think the price is well worth the protection I will receive
I purchased a copy at [url=http://www.mt4protect.com/] http://www.mt4protect.com/ [/url] via paypal and my product code was sent to me within 4 hours.
I installed it and its awesome! It works in the system tray and scans my computer in real time to detect any attacks.
The EA optimization tool is so great - you can allocate more memory to your MT4 terminal so your trades get executed faster! There are also heaps of registry tweaks and cleanup features that have turbocharged up my Windows XP computer.
With hackers and virus attacks hitting Forex traders all the time now I definitely think that MT4 Protect is a worthwhile investment.