Wednesday 27 August 2008

Is it acceptable to beat your children?

Both my children are occasional chess players, so I was surprised when my daughter insisted we play a game. Of course this request was timed to conflict with me having to do something else, in this case, cook dinner. So as to carry out both tasks at the same time, I offered to play blindfold, ie she would call out the moves she played and I would call out the replies. Sadly for her the game was pretty short.

1.f4 A mistake already 1...e5 2.fxe5 d6 3.Nf3 dxe5 4.Nxe5 Bd6 5.Ng4 Bxg4 6.h3 Bg3# 0-1
I did feel a little guilty in winning so quickly, although she was happy to play another game, but she asked we not play "shout out" chess. In the second game, with me having sight of the board, she even reached a middlegame that was slightly better for her, although she became bored with it all and resigned.
As for the dinner, it wasn't quite up to my usual standard, so maybe chess and cooking don't quite go together.

2 comments: