Monday 12 March 2007

FIDE Time Controls

Recently I have been appointed to serve on FIDE's Technical Commission and one of our first tasks is to look at time controls the FIDE will recommend in the following areas.

A) Standard Chess (World Ch, festivals, continental championship etc)

B) Rapid chess - World Championship, tie-breaks in the standard
WCh and Continental Ch., , rapid tournament etc

C) Blitz chess - World Blitz Championship, friendly event,tie-breaks for the standard WCh and Continental Ch

Now I have my own reasonably strong feelings on this matter, both based on events I have organised, and events I have seen, but opinions are always welcome. No guarantee I'll listen to them of course, but no harm in trying.

Actual decisions won't be made until November, but I will probably make my own suggestions fairly soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only concern is about standard or classical chess in FIDE opens: A) Standard Chess (World Ch, festivals, continental championship etc). I think the time 2h+1h k.o. is a very important time in general for all chess players in FIDE opens and a time that defends chess quality. Lately we see more and more 90min+30s with a total of 4 hours of play, but I think it is very important a total of 6 hours of play with or without increments.

Greetings from Portugal,

José H. Ribeiro

Shaun Press said...

My suggestions to the Commision Chair included comments on the effect that time controls have on the quality of chess.
For events with 1 round a day I strongly recommended 90min+1min. The most recent Australian Open was run with this time control and the choice of time control was well recieved by the players.
For events with 2 rounds a day I think that 90m+30s is probably neccesary, but hopefully all the important FIDE events (World Ch, Olympiad, Continental Ch etc) will never be held with 2 rounds a day.
For non increment events 40/2hr+20/1hr+g/30m was my recommendation, which was the old FIDE 7 hour session.